Experience the West
You have a dream. You’re gently swaying to your horse’s rhythmic walk as it picks its way up the trail, past a shimmering stream, under the flashing light of quivering aspens, and across a flower-filled meadow. Or perhaps you are rounding up cattle drive—just change the scenery and you’re there.
There is an abundance of dude and guest ranches in Wind River Country and they provide the perfect place to immerse yourself in the Western lifestyle.
Small ranches, many family-owned and in operation for generations, personalize your stay. Working cattle ranches give you a peek into the life of real cowboys and cowgirls. Explore the vast trails and big country on overnight pack trips offered by some ranches or hone your skills in horse training clinics. Many have structured lessons to learn how to ride, or, if you are already a seasoned rider, improve your horsemanship.
There are always other activities if you had your fill of riding for the day. Hike nearby trails, or simply explore the ranch where you are staying. Fish private streams or go with your seasoned host, who might just show you a few of his or her favorite spots near the ranch. Go wildlife watching and learn about the area’s plants and geology – some of the ranches have their own naturalist on staff.
Your hosts have mastered the art of matching horses to riders so that you’ll be challenged in a way that is fun, rather than scary. And horses can cover a lot of territory in one day, allowing you to explore a lot more country than you could do on foot.
If you are only passing through and don’t have time for a dude or guest ranch stay, some outfitters offer day rides to give you a taste of the western experience. It’s a great way to see the country and to participate in an enduring part of the area’s culture.
So go ahead and fulfill your dream. Ride the range and feel like a rugged cowboy—until you get a little sore in the saddle, then spend the afternoon fishing or swimming or simply taking in the view.
- Custom jet boat, drift boat and walk/wade fishing trips to anglers of all abilities.
- Small, highly personalized ranch for special groups, retreats and workshops.
- Wilderness horseback, fishing, big game and ranch vacations into the rugged Wind Rivers. Horse pack trips and drop trips.
- Located in Dubois. Pack trips and a luxurious base camp in the Shoshone National Forest specializing in riding, fishing, hiking, and wildlife viewing. Drop trips, hunting and custom trips available.
- Explore the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem near the Continental Divide between 11,000 and 12,000 feet. Working cattle ranch specializing in pack trips, horse riding and training clinics. Private trout stream.
- An all inclusive, luxury mountain getaway with spa. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Horseback riding, hiking, fishing, and snowmobiling.
- Hunting, fishing and pack trips in the Fitzpatrick Wilderness. Drop trips for climbers and backpackers into Gannett Peak.
- Hunting camp in Wind River Range. Fishing, drop pack trips.
- A dude ranch specializing in family vacations since 1927. Outdoor adventures include horseback riding, fishing, hiking, pack trips, weekly rodeo and cookouts.
- Dogsledding tours.
- Mountain guest ranch located along the Continental Divide. Horseback riding, ATV and snowmobile rentals.
- Guided service includes wade and alpine fishing from a motor or drift boat. Fly fishing instruction for all levels of experience.
- Float or wade along the Big Horn, Snake and Wind River. Professional fly fishing guide service. Catch and release fishing.
- Operates in the Wind River Range, Absaroka Range, and the Red Desert. Fly-fishing, low impact camping, family fun. Wilderness camping, and hunting for guided and unguided trips. Permitted by the USFS. Llama rentals.
- A full service guest ranch. Family owned and operated. Riding, fishing, hiking and hunting. Log cabins along East Fork of Wind River, 60 miles from Yellowstone. All meals provided.
- The only permitted base camp on the glacier trail located in the Fitzspatrick Wilderness. Weekly guided horsepacking trips July-Oct. This area is famous for Gannett Peak, the highest peak in Wyoming.
- Specializing in fly fishing trips. Horseback riding and ATV's can also be arranged.
- Horsepacking, backpacking and fishing in the Shoshone National Forest. Drop trips. Rentals- horses, complete camps, wall tents, stoves, cooking gear.
- Historic cabins and Native American tepee rentals available June-August. Located in the Dunoir Valley.
- A non-profit renewal center for spiritual growth, community and intellectual stimulation. Programs by internationally known speakers. Horseback riding, hiking, and a variety of outdoor experiences. June 1-mid Sept.
- Guided fly fishing in the Wind River Range. Day trips or 3-10 day trips available. Golden Trout specialty.
- Hunt from small dude ranch. Limited to 2 each hunt. Trophy elk hunt. Sleeping in cabins.
- Historic dude ranch since 1919. Fly fishing, horseback riding, packtrips.
- Day or overnight pack trips into the Absarokas and Wind River Mountains. Remote Golden Trout trips.
- Triangle C Ranch is an all inclusive guest ranch located in the scenic Wind River Valley, between Dubois and Jackson Hole, WY. Horseback riding instruction, trail rides, fishing, ATV, hiking.
- Whitewater rafting and guided fishing trips.
- Private and customizable instructional climbing courses at the base of the Wind River Range.
- Wind River Mountain OutfittersFishing, game hunting and horsepacking. Summer sightseeing trips and fall hunting. 5-day trips for grizzly bear viewing from July 20-Sept. 1. Day horseback rides.
- Cover the same ground as the pioneers in a wagon, on a horse, or both. Access to historical landmarks. Rent horses by the week for re-enactments, movies, outfitters, ranches, hunters, rodeos, etc.