Horseback Riding Adventures
Horses are a great way to get in the backcountry and into the mountains. You can choose from luxurious dude ranch vacations to something a little more rustic. A day trip is a great way to take a break from driving and get outdoors. Check our listings for outfitters and dude and guest ranches and our page about cowboy life to started.
Wind River Experience
Just picture it: you’re gently swaying to your horse’s rhythmic walk as it picks its way up the trail, past a shimmering stream, under the flashing light of quivering aspens, and across a flower-filled meadow. Or perhaps your dream includes participating in a cattle drive—just change the scenery and you’re there.
Wind River Country’s horse vacations are suitable for all riding abilities and most ages. Your hosts have mastered the art of matching horses to riders so that you’ll be challenged in a way that is fun, rather than scary. And horses can cover a lot of territory in one day, allowing you to explore a lot more country than you could do on foot.
If you are only passing through and don’t have time for a dude or guest ranch stay, some outfitters offer day rides to give you a taste of the Western experience. It’s a great way to see the country and to participate in an enduring part of the area’s culture.
If you don’t think you’re up for riding yourself, but are intrigued by Wind River Country’s cowboy history, make sure you go to one of the many rodeos when you’re passing through town. You’ll get to watch calf roping, bronc and bull riding, barrel racing, and if you’re lucky wild horse races—all of which provide plenty of excitement and entertainment for most armchair cowboys. There’s a rodeo in almost every town sometime during the summer. And every Friday night, Dubois hosts a summer weekly rodeo that’s jam-packed with action.
Businesses & Packages
- Custom jet boat, drift boat and walk/wade fishing trips to anglers of all abilities.
- Located in Dubois. Pack trips and a luxurious base camp in the Shoshone National Forest specializing in riding, fishing, hiking, and wildlife viewing. Drop trips, hunting and custom trips available.
- Hunting, fishing and pack trips in the Fitzpatrick Wilderness. Drop trips for climbers and backpackers into Gannett Peak.
- Hunting camp in Wind River Range. Fishing, drop pack trips.
- Dogsledding tours.
- Guided service includes wade and alpine fishing from a motor or drift boat. Fly fishing instruction for all levels of experience.
- Float or wade along the Big Horn, Snake and Wind River. Professional fly fishing guide service. Catch and release fishing.
- Operates in the Wind River Range, Absaroka Range, and the Red Desert. Fly-fishing, low impact camping, family fun. Wilderness camping, and hunting for guided and unguided trips. Permitted by the USFS. Llama rentals.
- The only permitted base camp on the glacier trail located in the Fitzspatrick Wilderness. Weekly guided horsepacking trips July-Oct. This area is famous for Gannett Peak, the highest peak in Wyoming.
- Specializing in fly fishing trips. Horseback riding and ATV's can also be arranged.
- Horsepacking, backpacking and fishing in the Shoshone National Forest. Drop trips. Rentals- horses, complete camps, wall tents, stoves, cooking gear.
- Guided fly fishing in the Wind River Range. Day trips or 3-10 day trips available. Golden Trout specialty.
- Hunt from small dude ranch. Limited to 2 each hunt. Trophy elk hunt. Sleeping in cabins.
- Day or overnight pack trips into the Absarokas and Wind River Mountains. Remote Golden Trout trips.
- Whitewater rafting and guided fishing trips.
- Private and customizable instructional climbing courses at the base of the Wind River Range.
- Wind River Mountain OutfittersFishing, game hunting and horsepacking. Summer sightseeing trips and fall hunting. 5-day trips for grizzly bear viewing from July 20-Sept. 1. Day horseback rides.
- Cover the same ground as the pioneers in a wagon, on a horse, or both. Access to historical landmarks. Rent horses by the week for re-enactments, movies, outfitters, ranches, hunters, rodeos, etc.