Welcome to Dubois, WY.
Dubois is situated in the “banana belt” of Wyoming with Chinook winds that help keep you cool in the summer and melt snow in the winter. The town has a diverse economy with working ranches, outfitters, artists, craftsmen, and loggers.
Dubois offers convenient services and accommodations to both residents and visitors. A 9-hole golf course is located on the west side of town. The Wind River Historical Center/Dubois Museum is filled with the history of Dubois, housing many artifacts of days gone by.Also open to the public are a covered swimming pool, town park with playground and tennis courts and the library.
For more information visit the Dubois Chamber of Commerce.
It was 1886 and they wanted to call their little settlement “Never Sweat”, a joke on the men of the area who seemed not to take work too seriously. But the federal government named it Dubois, after an Idaho senator of the era. Today, the town of Dubois is a quaint little community located along the Wind River, rimmed to the south by the Wind River mountains and to the north by the Absarokas. It’s an area of striking contrasts from the badlands east of town, to the high peaks south, north and west. Stop and stay awhile and see some of the sights.
Whiskey Mountain looms to the south and while several elk herds winter on Whiskey, even more take up winter residence on the Wyoming Game and Fish Department’s Inberg-Roy management area on the East Fork of the Wind River. There, approximately 2,500 to 3,000 elk winter from mid-November to mid-April.Dubois is an area of great diversity in wildlife. Big game species include bighorn sheep, elk, mule deer, moose, antelope and black bear. Cougar and grizzly bears are occasionally sighted, as are wolves. The area has a multitude of small wildlife species and migratory waterfowl.
Recreational opportunities in the Dubois country include many scenic areas, camping, fishing, hunting, horsepacking, hiking, photography and a large array of remarkable views for the artist. And that’s just in the summer. There’s a lot to do in the winter, too. The Upper Wind River Country has more than 150 miles of groomed snowmobile trails that have access to the Continental Divide Trail. The Continental Divide Snowmobile Trail has 360 miles from Lander to Yellowstone and it also connects to 665 miles of groomed trails. Ice fishing in the winter months is an exciting adventure, as is the dog sled ride at Brooks Lake near Togwotee Pass. Crosscountry skiers enjoy the packed snowmobile trails, or venture off trail for exciting telemark runs.
Completed in 1993, the center plays tribute to one of the most stunning of all North America’s big game animals, the Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep. Dubois is home to the largest wintering bighorn sheep herd in the Lower 48.
Since 1949, more than 2,000 sheep have been transplanted to Utah, Idaho, South Dakota, New Mexico and to other areas of Wyoming from the herd on Whiskey Mountain.
The center offers interpretive displays on the bighorn sheep as well as acting as a repository for research documents. A small mountain is the centerpiece of the 4,250-square-foot building. The mountain displays the sheep in its natural habitat.
Peaks of the Wind River Range
There are 2.4 million acres of national forest, which surround Dubois. Of this acreage, 1.5 million acres are designated as wilderness, where mechanized equipment is now allowed. Gannett Peak, located in the Shoshone National Forest, is the highest peak in the Wind River Range, with an elevation of 13,804 feet. It is due south of Dubois, but it is hidden from sight by the foothills and peaks looming over the valley floor.
A memorial west of Dubois pays tribute to the timber harvesters of yesteryear. Timber harvesting has been a part of Dubois since its early settlement days, in 1914, timber harvesting began on the forests of the Upper Wind River in the DuNoir Valley, in order to supply railroad ties to the Chicago and Northwestern railroad. Thus began the era of the famous “Tie Hack” – the nickname for the job of cutting railroad ties.
During the Tie Hack era, ten million ties or approximately 40 million board feet of lumber was logged from the surrounding hills.
The main operation was run by the Wyoming Tie and Timber Company, whose employees were mostly Swedes and Norwegian immigrants. Their dedication to the drink, vigorous brawling and feats of strength brought to Dubois a colorful and lively bunch of characters.
Remnants of the flumes from this bygone era can still be seen west of Dubois. A 14-foot limestone monument overlooks the site of the Tie Camp.
Businesses & Packages
- Small, highly personalized ranch for special groups, retreats and workshops.
- 18 hole course, pro-shop, lounge, cart rentals, driving range.
- A working art studio with one of the largest selections of antler on display in the area. Work from Kirk Gordon and photography from Lynn Smith.
- Located in Dubois. Pack trips and a luxurious base camp in the Shoshone National Forest specializing in riding, fishing, hiking, and wildlife viewing. Drop trips, hunting and custom trips available.Packages
Valid From 07/10/2017 to 07/14/2017Make the most of your short break this summer by filling it with many activities- all from the one vacation spot. The Dunoir Valley in the Shoshone National Forest, Dubois is a beautiful glaciated volcanic valley offering challenging hikes, meandering strolls, varied riding, fishing, and photography. The surrounding lakes and streams are good for cutthroat and brook trout fishing. Our pack trips offer all this plus gourmet meals, comfortable camping supplies, skilled guides, safe horses/tack and a fun unforgettable experience. All for a great price and all in one package! Photo: Ellen Vanuga$1,550 per person. 5 days/4 nights. Book before March 15th and receive $100 off per couple.
Valid From 07/01/2017 to 08/31/2017Join Heath for some fantastic fishing in the beautiful Simpson Lake area on this great pack trip. The northern Wind River Range is fabulous country and the fly fishing in the lakes is a treat. There will be the opportunity to fish the lake itself and other surrounding fisheries. The fishing is world renowned- fly-fishing or spin-casting. Brookies, Rainbows, Cutthroat Trout and Grayling all inhabit these healthy, pristine waters. We will take day rides or hikes to nearby lakes like Lost Lake, Sandra Lake, Pinto Lake and Rim Lake. The fishing will keep you busy and the scenery awestruck. Come enjoy these wonderful wild lands and water with us. Trip cost includes all meals, tent accommodations, riding, taxes and gratuities. Bookings of more than two people receive $100 off per person. “Rim Lake” photo: Steven Brutger4 night/5 day minimum
Valid From 07/24/2017 to 07/28/2017Join us for a special trip into the beautiful Shoshone National Forest in Dubois Wyoming, staying at our comfortable base camp. We will gather as a small group of women to explore the serenity of the land, the quiet wisdom of horses, and daily movement and meditation practices tailored to create ease in body and mind. All levels of experience in yoga/meditation and horse riding are welcome. $1,600 per person includes all meals, riding, yoga, meditation and tent accommodations. Book as a group of four and receive $50 off per person. Photo by Diana HedlundLadies trip only
- Cabin rentals 12 miles west of Dubois
- Explore the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem near the Continental Divide between 11,000 and 12,000 feet. Working cattle ranch specializing in pack trips, horse riding and training clinics. Private trout stream.
- Open June-Sept.
- An all inclusive, luxury mountain getaway with spa. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Horseback riding, hiking, fishing, and snowmobiling.
- Hunting camp in Wind River Range. Fishing, drop pack trips.
- Chimney Rock ArenaTrail rides from 2 hours, 1/2 day or full day. Children must be at least 6 years of age.
- Riverside location with direct access to the Wind River.
- A dude ranch specializing in family vacations since 1927. Outdoor adventures include horseback riding, fishing, hiking, pack trips, weekly rodeo and cookouts.
- Dogsledding tours.
- Crooked CreekBreakfast, lunch & family style dinners. Located on Union Pass
- Mountain guest ranch located along the Continental Divide. Horseback riding, ATV and snowmobile rentals.
- Visitor information, guides and maps.
- In operation since the 1930's, the fish hatchery raises rainbow, cutthroat and brown trout to stock lakes and rivers. Call ahead to schedule a tour.
- See the history of the Upper Wind River Valley including the Sheep Eater Indians. Tours arranged by special request.
- Open May 15- Sept. 27.
- International and national riding tours by the week. Guides, meals, horses & accommodations included. Advanced riding program.
- Year round 4 bedroom home. Enjoy the Wind River out the back door for fishing. Located in the town of Dubois.
Glamorous camping with a touch of adventure -Airstream Trailer, Luxury Wall Tents and Log Cabin
- Float or wade along the Big Horn, Snake and Wind River. Professional fly fishing guide service. Catch and release fishing.
- Kathy's KoffeeCoffee. Breakfast & Lunch.
- Campground, gas, restaurant and package liquor store.
- A full service guest ranch. Family owned and operated. Riding, fishing, hiking and hunting. Log cabins along East Fork of Wind River, 60 miles from Yellowstone. All meals provided.
- The only permitted base camp on the glacier trail located in the Fitzspatrick Wilderness. Weekly guided horsepacking trips July-Oct. This area is famous for Gannett Peak, the highest peak in Wyoming.
- Specializing in fly fishing trips. Horseback riding and ATV's can also be arranged.
- Heavenly rendezvous for family, friends & associates. Self serve cabin bordering the Shoshone National Forest.
- Explore life-size dioramas and hands-on exploration of the Whiskey Mountain Herd of Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep. Wildlife viewing tours by appointment Nov-March. 24 hour notice required.
- Nostalgia Bistro & BakeryLunch & dinner. Asian, European, Sushi and baked goods.
- Licensed and insured Wyoming outfitting service offering experienced professional fishing and hunting guides, as well as certified mountain guides, for the back country traveler looking for sport or adventure. Drop trips. Rentals- horses, complete camps, wall tents, stoves, cooking gear.Packages
Outfitters of the Wyoming WildernessmapValid From 07/01/2017 to 09/01/2017Come on a horseback adventure into the only permitted base camp on the Glacier trail at the base of Gannett Peak (highest point in Wyoming). Enjoy six days of horseback adventures in the pristine Wind River Range, fishing, sightseeing, and so much more! All inclusive trip including one motel room the night before and at the end of the trip. No Hassle, just show up and leave the rest to us!8 years or older, Minimum 2 people
Outfitters of the Wyoming WildernessmapValid From 10/01/2017 to 10/31/2017Join us for a horseback elk hunt into our remote wilderness base camp located on the Glacier Trail near Gannett Peak. Enjoy the comforts of wall tents with sleeping cots, home cooked meals, and the ruggedness of a wilderness hunt in a pristine environment. All inclusive trip including hunting in the wilderness and an onsite taxidermist. Book early for special savings on a combination of your hunt and taxidermy to preserve your memories!Must have a general elk license
- Outlaw CafeFamily style
- Historic cabins and Native American tepee rentals available June-August. Located in the Dunoir Valley.
- A non-profit renewal center for spiritual growth, community and intellectual stimulation. Programs by internationally known speakers. Horseback riding, hiking, and a variety of outdoor experiences. June 1-mid Sept.
- Off road, dual sport, OHV, UTV Side-By-Side, snowmobile, SUV 4 wheel drive adventure originate 10 minutes from our central Dubois booking location. Explore the area with our team or drive yourself with maps and GPS. Standard and custom packages available. Bring your own units or have us rent one for you.
- Open year-round. Direct ATV access to BLM land.
- Taylor Creek Exxon & DeliSandwiches,Salads & Pizza
- Day or overnight pack trips into the Absarokas and Wind River Mountains. Remote Golden Trout trips.Packages
Teton Fishing Co. LLCmapValid From 07/01/2017 to 09/30/2017We’ve got just what you need…a much deserved Getaway. You’re so busy refueling everyone else’s tank, take a few days to refresh and energize YOU! Come learn to fly fish with a top rated Orvis endorsed professional guide. Be pampered on the river with stream-side coffee, fresh homemade coffee cake, mouth-watering lunches, breath taking scenery, and some incredible fishing. It’s a fact nearly 60% of new anglers are women! I’d be honored to introduce you to this most amazing outdoor adventure activity. Check out my reviews from other first time ladies at http://wyoming.fish/feedback.html I think you’ll be as impressed as I was to hear their wonderful stories. These package trips fill fast, so gather up a few close friends now and book your special ladies trip. Create some fantastic summer memories in Dubois this summer with your BFFs! Take a look at my photo gallery to get a taste of what awaits you at http://wyoming.fish/wyomingtroutpictures/ What: Ladies only, 2-day guided fly fishing trip of a lifetime When: July 1- September 30, 2017 Where: The Stunning Wind River Watershed, Dubois Lodging: Just call us! We can suggest some awesome places to stay in the Dubois area from economy to luxury to suits your needs. Discount: 20% off guide service for 3 or more ladies Contact: [email protected], www.facebook.com/wyoming.fish, 307.699.4602,20% off guide service for 3 or more ladies
Teton Fishing Co. LLCmapValid From 07/01/2017 to 10/01/2017Learn the secrets to landing the big one from a Pro. All ages and families are welcome to come spend the trip of a lifetime in the great outdoors in Dubois. Pet friendly. Book a 2-day trip for 2 people ($900), and get an additional 1/2 day ($350 savings) for free!
- The CobblerBakery & deli
- The PerchCoffee, smoothies, snacks
- Timberline RanchOpen June 15-Sept 15. Ideal for family events and reunions.
- Transportation to and from Jackson and Riverton airports.
- Triangle C Ranch is an all inclusive guest ranch located in the scenic Wind River Valley, between Dubois and Jackson Hole, WY. Horseback riding instruction, trail rides, fishing, ATV, hiking.
- Displays and gift shop featuring local geology, birds, plants and animals.
- Village Cafe & Pizza/Daylight DonutsBreakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Donuts & Pizza
- Wilderness Boundary RestaurantHome Cooking, Varied menu, Bar & Package Liquor at the Lava Mountain Lodge
- Wind River Backcountry OutfittersHorsepacking into the Absaroka mountains, fishing and fall hunting. Drop trips. Day horseback rides.
- Rent cross country ski equipment, snowshoes, backpacks, sleeping bags, fly fishing poles and waders. Guide books & topo maps.
- Supports and showcases local and national art and home to the Warm Springs Gallery. Call for current gallery showings, classes and special events.
- Secluded cabins 5 miles west of Dubois. Open May-Sept.