Experience the West
You have a dream. You’re gently swaying to your horse’s rhythmic walk as it picks its way up the trail, past a shimmering stream, under the flashing light of quivering aspens, and across a flower-filled meadow. Or perhaps you are rounding up cattle drive—just change the scenery and you’re there.
There is an abundance of dude and guest ranches in Wind River Country and they provide the perfect place to immerse yourself in the Western lifestyle.
Small ranches, many family-owned and in operation for generations, personalize your stay. Working cattle ranches give you a peek into the life of real cowboys and cowgirls. Explore the vast trails and big country on overnight pack trips offered by some ranches or hone your skills in horse training clinics. Many have structured lessons to learn how to ride, or, if you are already a seasoned rider, improve your horsemanship.
There are always other activities if you had your fill of riding for the day. Hike nearby trails, or simply explore the ranch where you are staying. Fish private streams or go with your seasoned host, who might just show you a few of his or her favorite spots near the ranch. Go wildlife watching and learn about the area’s plants and geology – some of the ranches have their own naturalist on staff.
Your hosts have mastered the art of matching horses to riders so that you’ll be challenged in a way that is fun, rather than scary. And horses can cover a lot of territory in one day, allowing you to explore a lot more country than you could do on foot.
If you are only passing through and don’t have time for a dude or guest ranch stay, some outfitters offer day rides to give you a taste of the western experience. It’s a great way to see the country and to participate in an enduring part of the area’s culture.
So go ahead and fulfill your dream. Ride the range and feel like a rugged cowboy—until you get a little sore in the saddle, then spend the afternoon fishing or swimming or simply taking in the view.
- Custom jet boat, drift boat and walk/wade fishing trips to anglers of all abilities.
- Small, highly personalized ranch for special groups, retreats and workshops.
- Wilderness horseback, fishing, big game and ranch vacations into the rugged Wind Rivers. Horse pack trips and drop trips.
- Located in Dubois. Pack trips and a luxurious base camp in the Shoshone National Forest specializing in riding, fishing, hiking, and wildlife viewing. Drop trips, hunting and custom trips available.Packages
Valid From 07/15/2018 to 07/19/2018Make the most of your summer break by filling it with many activities- all from the one vacation spot. The Dunoir Valley in the Shoshone National Forest, Dubois is a beautiful glaciated volcanic valley offering challenging hikes, meandering strolls, varied riding, fishing, and photography. The surrounding lakes and streams are good for cutthroat and brook trout fishing. Our pack trips offer all this plus delicious meals, comfortable camping, skilled guides, safe horses/tack and a fun unforgettable experience. All for a great price and all in one package! $1,580 per person. 5 days/ 4 nights. Book before February 1st and receive $80 off per person. Photo: Sarah WoltmanFor the trip to depart there needs to be a minimum of three guests.
Valid From 08/27/2018 to 08/31/2018Join Heath for some fantastic fishing in the beautiful Simpson Lake area on this great pack trip. The northern Wind River Range is fabulous country and the fly-fishing in the lakes is a treat. There will be the opportunity to fish the lake itself and other surrounding fisheries. The fishing is world renowned-fly-fishing or spin-casting. Brookies, Rainbows, Cutthroat Trout and Grayling all inhabit these healthy, pristine waters. We will take day rides or hikes to nearby lakes like Lost Lake, Sandra Lake, Pinto Lake and Rim Lake. The fishing will keep you busy and the scenery awestruck. Come enjoy these wonderful wild lands and water with us. Trip cost includes all meals, tent accommodations, riding, taxes and gratuities. Group bookings of three or more will receive $100 off per person. Photo by Steven Brutger
Valid From 07/08/2018 to 07/12/2018This is a special ladies trip into the beautiful Shoshone National Forest in Dubois Wyoming, staying at our comfortable base camp. We will gather as a small group to explore the serenity of the land, the quiet wisdom of horses, and daily movement and meditation practices tailored to create ease in body and mind. All levels of experience in yoga/meditation and horse riding are welcome. $1,700 per guest. All inclusive of meals, riding, yoga, tent accomodations, staff and taxes. Group bookings of three or more receive $100 off per guest. Photo by Meredith HardwickLadies trip only
- Explore the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem near the Continental Divide between 11,000 and 12,000 feet. Working cattle ranch specializing in pack trips, horse riding and training clinics. Private trout stream.
- An all inclusive, luxury mountain getaway with spa. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Horseback riding, hiking, fishing, and snowmobiling.
- Hunting, fishing and pack trips in the Fitzpatrick Wilderness. Drop trips for climbers and backpackers into Gannett Peak.
- Hunting camp in Wind River Range. Fishing, drop pack trips.
- A dude ranch specializing in family vacations since 1927. Outdoor adventures include horseback riding, fishing, hiking, pack trips, weekly rodeo and cookouts.
- Dogsledding tours.
- Mountain guest ranch located along the Continental Divide. Horseback riding, ATV and snowmobile rentals.
- Guided service includes wade and alpine fishing from a motor or drift boat. Fly fishing instruction for all levels of experience.
- Float or wade along the Big Horn, Snake and Wind River. Professional fly fishing guide service. Catch and release fishing.
- Half or full-day guided wade fishing trips in the Lander area. 3 & 5 day overnight pack trips available.
- Operates in the Wind River Range, Absaroka Range, and the Red Desert. Fly-fishing, low impact camping, family fun. Wilderness camping, and hunting for guided and unguided trips. Permitted by the USFS. Llama rentals.
- A full service guest ranch. Family owned and operated. Riding, fishing, hiking and hunting. Log cabins along East Fork of Wind River, 60 miles from Yellowstone. All meals provided.
- The only permitted base camp on the glacier trail located in the Fitzspatrick Wilderness. Weekly guided horsepacking trips July-Oct. This area is famous for Gannett Peak, the highest peak in Wyoming.
- Specializing in fly fishing trips. Horseback riding and ATV's can also be arranged.
- Licensed and insured Wyoming outfitting service offering experienced professional fishing and hunting guides, as well as certified mountain guides, for the back country traveler looking for sport or adventure. Drop trips. Rentals- horses, complete camps, wall tents, stoves, cooking gear.
- A non-profit renewal center for spiritual growth, community and intellectual stimulation. Programs by internationally known speakers. Horseback riding, hiking, and a variety of outdoor experiences. June 1-mid Sept.
- Guided fly fishing in the Wind River Range. Day trips or 3-10 day trips available. Golden Trout specialty.
- Day or overnight pack trips into the Absarokas and Wind River Mountains. Remote Golden Trout trips.
- Timberline RanchOpen June 15-Sept 15. Ideal for family events and reunions.
- Triangle C Ranch is an all inclusive guest ranch located in the scenic Wind River Valley, between Dubois and Jackson Hole, WY. Horseback riding instruction, trail rides, fishing, ATV, hiking.
- Wind River Backcountry OutfittersHorsepacking into the Absaroka mountains, fishing and fall hunting. Drop trips. Day horseback rides.
- Whitewater rafting and guided fishing trips.
- Private and customizable instructional climbing courses at the base of the Wind River Range.
- Located at The Black Bear Inn. Guided morning half-day and full day wade trips, evening wade and a golden trout package. Daily afternoon free fly casting lessons (5pm).
- Fishing trips for anglers of all abilities with experienced guides. Walk and wade tours in the Wind River & North Fork rivers and below Boysen Reservoir.
- Cover the same ground as the pioneers in a wagon, on a horse, or both. Access to historical landmarks. Rent horses by the week for re-enactments, movies, outfitters, ranches, hunters, rodeos, etc.