Welcome to Riverton, WY
Riverton lies at the confluence of the Big and Little Wind rivers and was established in 1906 on land ceded from the Wind River Indian Reservation. The town was placed in a natural basin that had long been a gathering point for humans from Native Americans since pre-history to the 1830 and 1838 mountain man rendezvous.
Riverton Chamber of Commerce
312 W. Main Street
Riverton WY 82501
Riverton Regional Airport
4800 Airport Road
Riverton, WY 82501
CWC is a major contributor to Riverton’s cultural and commercial life. The college offers a wide variety of programs and services to students and community members of all ages. Off-campus locations are in Jackson, Lander, Dubois and the Wind River Indian Reservation.
As the site of the fur trade’s 1830 rendezvous and 1838 rendezvous, Riverton played host to many of the legendary names of the mountain man era. Jim Bridger, William Sublette, Kit Carson, and Jedediah Smith are only a few of the legendary trappers and traders who met here in 1838. The most impressive of these was the 1838 event, which drew as many as 300 people including mountain men and traders, Native Americans and missionaries to a bench of cottonwood trees at the confluence of the Big Wind and the Little Wind. For several days, they traded and celebrated a season of trapping the mountains.
Riverton boasts the only rendezvous site that remains on original ground. The 1838 Rendezvous reenactment each summer features men and women who demonstrate skills that were used by the mountain men that have otherwise been virtually lost through the decades.
Soon after its founding, the Riverton area was promoted heavily in the East as a “farming paradise”. One of the last major homesteading ‘openings’ held in the United States, this development had all the drama of the Old West – greedy Eastern speculators, railroad expansion, claim jumpers, land races, feuds and shoot outs. The Army was even called in from Fort Washakie to keep the peace.
From these wild and wooly beginnings, Riverton has developed into the agricultural and commercial hub of Fremont County. With a farm/ranch agriculture base, the Riverton area is a major producer of top-quality cattle and horses, alfalfa hay and sugar beets.
Businesses & Packages
- 789 Casino CafeIndian tacos, burgers and specials
- Open 24 hours, gaming machines and bingo.
- Arby'sSandwiches and salads
- Bar 10Salads, pizza, ribs
- BreadboardSub Sandwiches & Soup
- Brewed AttitudeSandwiches, soups, salads
- Bull & Bistro, TheSteaks, seafood, family dining & cocktails
- Burger KingHamburgers, salads.
- Cee nokuu CafeIndian Tacos, hamburgers & specials
- Interactive exhibits and enrichment activities for children. 10 a.m - 5 pm Thursday-Saturday
- China PandaChinese
- Daylight Donut & Ice CreamDonuts, homemade ice-cream & coffee
- Depot, TheHistorical Mexican Dining
- Domino's PizzaTake out pizza
- El DurangoMexican
- El Sol De MexicoAuthentic Mexican food
- Cars, vans, 4WD vehicles. Located at the Riverton Regional Airport
- Intertribal CenterView the Stewart Collection of Native American artifacts and a photograph collection of historical Native American images. Open with the CWC school calendar.
- Jackpine Motel
- Jim's Aircraft ServiceCars, minivans and SUV's. Located at the Riverton Regional Airport
- KFCFried chicken and buffet
- Main Manhattan Eatery & PubFriday night all you can eat prime rib
- McDonald'sFast Food & Hamburgers
- See the past, present and future of the Northern Arapaho through artifacts and artwork. Call in advance for a schedule of Elders who share Arapaho language lessons and storytelling. Weekly dance exhibitions in the summer.
- Oriental PalaceChinese
- Owl Creek CampgroundOpen May 1-Oct 31
- OxYoke RV Park
- Phil's Dog ShakHot dogs, kraut dogs & frito pie Open April-October
- Pizza HutPizza
- Pizza PlusPizza
- QT's RestaurantCasual, Steaks, Cocktail & Family Friendly. Located in the Holiday Inn.
- Red Willow RestaurantSteaks, hamburgers & pastas. In the Wind River Hotel & Casino
- Visitor information, guides and maps.
- 18 holes, pro shop, restaurant, lounge, cart rentals & driving range.
- A local history museum featuring the 20th century homesteaders who brought Riverton to life in 1906. Many Old West artifacts on display.
- Commercial air service: Denver Air Connection and Great Lakes Aviation.
- Roomers Motel
- Speedway CafeHome style family dining
- SubwaySandwiches & Salads
- Subway Wal-MartSandwiches & Salads
- Sundowner Station RestaurantFine Family Dining.
- Taco BellMexican
- Taco JohnsMexican
- Taco TimeMexican
- Located in the Wind River Hotel & Casino. Tuscan Hearth, Mongolian Grill, Rio Taco Mexican, Smokehouse
- The Cove RestaurantHome Style Breakfast & Lunch
- Trailhead Family RestaurantBreakfast, lunch & dinner. Family style
- Wendy'sHamburgers, sandwiches, salads.
- Features mountain man history and the 1838 Rendezvous through wildlife displays and an extensive artifacts collection and wax museum. Open 10-2 Mon-Sat. Please call to verify hours.
- Over 750 gaming machines, table games and roulette. Hotel, gift shop, restaurants and banquet room. See the Northern Arapaho song and dance experience in the summer and visit the Cultural Experience room open daily.
- Open year round
- Wyoming SmokehouseAuthentic western BBQ. Dine in, carry out and catering.