A Biker’s Paradise
If you mountain or road bike you’ll love it here. We’ve got single-track and off-road trails worthy of the most adventurous. The terrain ranges from easy to extreme surrounded by mountains, deep in alpine meadows, through the high desert bordered by red cliffs. Road touring Togwotee Pass at 9000′ and South Pass offer two totally different views, and both are exceptional.
Johnny Behind the Rocks is a locals’ favorite. Located near Twin Creek with the red cliffs as a backdrop this elaborate trail system covers easy to difficult, single and two track. With names like Red Ridge Trail, Johnny’s Draw Trail and Johnny on Top Trail you get the idea. You’ll be biking through pinion pine surrounded by red rocks with stellar views. If you like some competition with the camaraderie, participate in the Jurassic Classic in September. Location: 14.6 miles southeast from Lander on Hwy 287.
The Brewers Trail begins at about 8,400 feet elevation in Sinks Canyon. If you’re looking for hairpin curves, a roller coaster descent and cliff drops, this is the trail for you.
This trail is just as popular in the winter for fat tire biking. Our sunny days with blue skies make almost any day a day for mountain biking. Location: About 9 miles south of Lander on Hwy 131 or the Loop Road.
There’s a new trail in town – “The Overlook Trail”. This single-track trail begins on the north side peak of the Overlook and has a highpoint of 7,505′ descending to 7,061′. There’s one 400+ foot climb and the trail is primarily a downhill cruise. Designed and built by an expert mountain bike trail builder from the Jackson area, the path is rife with banks, plunges, and jumps. And the views are amazing!
Take it from Scott, one of our local bike fanatics:
Fatbikes Ruehl and I groomed here a few weeks ago. Awesome, awesome awesome!!!! Too kool that it drops in at the USGS pin, and spirals you down into yummy burmed single trackiness…. With some solid accents that keep you coming back for more…..
Not overtly technical, the Dubois Overlook Trail features options lending itself to both novice and expert mountain bikers alike. Riders will generally want to shuttle the trail or challenge themselves to pedal to the top before (or after) their screaming descent. Crafted not too intimidate, but delight hikers and riders alike, this trail is fun for all levels and all ages.
Dubois Association for Recreation and Trails (D.A.R.T.) has organized public bike repair stations. These stations are located at both ends of downtown Dubois. On the east side, you’ll find it at the Opportunity Shop parking lot and on the west end of town at the Taylor Creek Exxon Station. They contain all the basic tools you need for simple repairs, as well as an air pump. And they have a “Loaner Bike” program. Two Rocky Mountain MTB Bikes (supplied by Lander Bike Mill), as well as a few other donated MTB bikes from the community are free for DART Club members to check out and use at any time. They will be available at Wind River Gear in Dubois (307) 455-3468. The goal is to make biking accessible to anyone who is interested. And Dubois has a Green bikes program providing bikes for community members and local kids to use as transportation around town.
Resources & Events
Businesses & Packages
- Custom jet boat, drift boat and walk/wade fishing trips to anglers of all abilities.
- Located in Dubois. Pack trips and a luxurious base camp in the Shoshone National Forest specializing in riding, fishing, hiking, and wildlife viewing. Drop trips, hunting and custom trips available.Packages
Bear Basin AdventuresmapValid From 07/01/2017 to 08/31/2017Join Heath for some fantastic fishing in the beautiful Simpson Lake area on this great pack trip. The northern Wind River Range is fabulous country and the fly fishing in the lakes is a treat. There will be the opportunity to fish the lake itself and other surrounding fisheries. The fishing is world renowned- fly-fishing or spin-casting. Brookies, Rainbows, Cutthroat Trout and Grayling all inhabit these healthy, pristine waters. We will take day rides or hikes to nearby lakes like Lost Lake, Sandra Lake, Pinto Lake and Rim Lake. The fishing will keep you busy and the scenery awestruck. Come enjoy these wonderful wild lands and water with us. Trip cost includes all meals, tent accommodations, riding, taxes and gratuities. Bookings of more than two people receive $100 off per person. “Rim Lake” photo: Steven Brutger4 night/5 day minimum
- Hunting, fishing and pack trips in the Fitzpatrick Wilderness. Drop trips for climbers and backpackers into Gannett Peak.
- Hunting camp in Wind River Range. Fishing, drop pack trips.
- Dogsledding tours.
- Guided service includes wade and alpine fishing from a motor or drift boat. Fly fishing instruction for all levels of experience.
- Float or wade along the Big Horn, Snake and Wind River. Professional fly fishing guide service. Catch and release fishing.
- Half or full-day guided wade fishing trips in the Lander area. 3 & 5 day overnight pack trips available.
- Operates in the Wind River Range, Absaroka Range, and the Red Desert. Fly-fishing, low impact camping, family fun. Wilderness camping, and hunting for guided and unguided trips. Permitted by the USFS. Llama rentals.
- The only permitted base camp on the glacier trail located in the Fitzspatrick Wilderness. Weekly guided horsepacking trips July-Oct. This area is famous for Gannett Peak, the highest peak in Wyoming.
- Specializing in fly fishing trips. Horseback riding and ATV's can also be arranged.
- Licensed and insured Wyoming outfitting service offering experienced professional fishing and hunting guides, as well as certified mountain guides, for the back country traveler looking for sport or adventure. Drop trips. Rentals- horses, complete camps, wall tents, stoves, cooking gear.Packages
Outfitters of the Wyoming WildernessmapValid From 07/01/2017 to 09/01/2017Come on a horseback adventure into the only permitted base camp on the Glacier trail at the base of Gannett Peak (highest point in Wyoming). Enjoy six days of horseback adventures in the pristine Wind River Range, fishing, sightseeing, and so much more! All inclusive trip including one motel room the night before and at the end of the trip. No Hassle, just show up and leave the rest to us!8 years or older, Minimum 2 people
Outfitters of the Wyoming WildernessmapValid From 10/01/2017 to 10/31/2017Join us for a horseback elk hunt into our remote wilderness base camp located on the Glacier Trail near Gannett Peak. Enjoy the comforts of wall tents with sleeping cots, home cooked meals, and the ruggedness of a wilderness hunt in a pristine environment. All inclusive trip including hunting in the wilderness and an onsite taxidermist. Book early for special savings on a combination of your hunt and taxidermy to preserve your memories!Must have a general elk license
- Guided fly fishing in the Wind River Range. Day trips or 3-10 day trips available. Golden Trout specialty.
- Day or overnight pack trips into the Absarokas and Wind River Mountains. Remote Golden Trout trips.Packages
Teton Fishing Co. LLCmapValid From 07/01/2017 to 09/30/2017We’ve got just what you need…a much deserved Getaway. You’re so busy refueling everyone else’s tank, take a few days to refresh and energize YOU! Come learn to fly fish with a top rated Orvis endorsed professional guide. Be pampered on the river with stream-side coffee, fresh homemade coffee cake, mouth-watering lunches, breath taking scenery, and some incredible fishing. It’s a fact nearly 60% of new anglers are women! I’d be honored to introduce you to this most amazing outdoor adventure activity. Check out my reviews from other first time ladies at http://wyoming.fish/feedback.html I think you’ll be as impressed as I was to hear their wonderful stories. These package trips fill fast, so gather up a few close friends now and book your special ladies trip. Create some fantastic summer memories in Dubois this summer with your BFFs! Take a look at my photo gallery to get a taste of what awaits you at http://wyoming.fish/wyomingtroutpictures/ What: Ladies only, 2-day guided fly fishing trip of a lifetime When: July 1- September 30, 2017 Where: The Stunning Wind River Watershed, Dubois Lodging: Just call us! We can suggest some awesome places to stay in the Dubois area from economy to luxury to suits your needs. Discount: 20% off guide service for 3 or more ladies Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org, www.facebook.com/wyoming.fish, 307.699.4602,20% off guide service for 3 or more ladies
Teton Fishing Co. LLCmapValid From 07/01/2017 to 10/01/2017Learn the secrets to landing the big one from a Pro. All ages and families are welcome to come spend the trip of a lifetime in the great outdoors in Dubois. Pet friendly. Book a 2-day trip for 2 people ($900), and get an additional 1/2 day ($350 savings) for free!
- Wind River Backcountry OutfittersHorsepacking into the Absaroka mountains, fishing and fall hunting. Drop trips. Day horseback rides.
- Whitewater rafting and guided fishing trips.
- Private and customizable instructional climbing courses at the base of the Wind River Range.
- Located at The Black Bear Inn. Guided morning half-day and full day wade trips, evening wade and a golden trout package. Daily afternoon free fly casting lessons (5pm).Packages
- Fishing trips for anglers of all abilities with experienced guides. Walk and wade tours in the Wind River & North Fork rivers and below Boysen Reservoir.
- Cover the same ground as the pioneers in a wagon, on a horse, or both. Access to historical landmarks. Rent horses by the week for re-enactments, movies, outfitters, ranches, hunters, rodeos, etc.