A Biker’s Paradise
If you mountain or road bike you’ll love it here. We’ve got single-track and off-road trails worthy of the most adventurous. The terrain ranges from easy to extreme surrounded by mountains, deep in alpine meadows, through the high desert bordered by red cliffs. Road touring Togwotee Pass at 9000′ and South Pass offer two totally different views, and both are exceptional.
Johnny Behind the Rocks is a locals’ favorite. Located near Twin Creek with the red cliffs as a backdrop this elaborate trail system covers easy to difficult, single and two track. With names like Red Ridge Trail, Johnny’s Draw Trail and Johnny on Top Trail you get the idea. You’ll be biking through pinion pine surrounded by red rocks with stellar views. If you like some competition with the camaraderie, participate in the Jurassic Classic in September. Location: 14.6 miles southeast from Lander on Hwy 287.
The Brewers Trail begins at about 8,400 feet elevation in Sinks Canyon. If you’re looking for hairpin curves, a roller coaster descent and cliff drops, this is the trail for you.
This trail is just as popular in the winter for fat tire biking. Our sunny days with blue skies make almost any day a day for mountain biking. Location: About 9 miles south of Lander on Hwy 131 or the Loop Road.
There’s a new trail in town – “The Overlook Trail”. This single-track trail begins on the north side peak of the Overlook and has a highpoint of 7,505′ descending to 7,061′. There’s one 400+ foot climb and the trail is primarily a downhill cruise. Designed and built by an expert mountain bike trail builder from the Jackson area, the path is rife with banks, plunges, and jumps. And the views are amazing!
Take it from Scott, one of our local bike fanatics:
Fatbikes Ruehl and I groomed here a few weeks ago. Awesome, awesome awesome!!!! Too kool that it drops in at the USGS pin, and spirals you down into yummy burmed single trackiness…. With some solid accents that keep you coming back for more…..
Not overtly technical, the Dubois Overlook Trail features options lending itself to both novice and expert mountain bikers alike. Riders will generally want to shuttle the trail or challenge themselves to pedal to the top before (or after) their screaming descent. Crafted not too intimidate, but delight hikers and riders alike, this trail is fun for all levels and all ages.
Dubois Association for Recreation and Trails (D.A.R.T.) has organized public bike repair stations. These stations are located at both ends of downtown Dubois. On the east side, you’ll find it at the Opportunity Shop parking lot and on the west end of town at the Taylor Creek Exxon Station. They contain all the basic tools you need for simple repairs, as well as an air pump. And they have a “Loaner Bike” program. Two Rocky Mountain MTB Bikes (supplied by Lander Bike Mill), as well as a few other donated MTB bikes from the community are free for DART Club members to check out and use at any time. They will be available at Wind River Gear in Dubois (307) 455-3468. The goal is to make biking accessible to anyone who is interested. And Dubois has a Green bikes program providing bikes for community members and local kids to use as transportation around town.
Resources & Events
Businesses & Packages
- Custom jet boat, drift boat and walk/wade fishing trips to anglers of all abilities.
- Located in Dubois. Pack trips and a luxurious base camp in the Shoshone National Forest specializing in riding, fishing, hiking, and wildlife viewing. Drop trips, hunting and custom trips available.Packages
Valid From 07/15/2018 to 07/19/2018Make the most of your summer break by filling it with many activities- all from the one vacation spot. The Dunoir Valley in the Shoshone National Forest, Dubois is a beautiful glaciated volcanic valley offering challenging hikes, meandering strolls, varied riding, fishing, and photography. The surrounding lakes and streams are good for cutthroat and brook trout fishing. Our pack trips offer all this plus delicious meals, comfortable camping, skilled guides, safe horses/tack and a fun unforgettable experience. All for a great price and all in one package! $1,580 per person. 5 days/ 4 nights. Book before February 1st and receive $80 off per person. Photo: Sarah WoltmanFor the trip to depart there needs to be a minimum of three guests.
Valid From 08/27/2018 to 08/31/2018Join Heath for some fantastic fishing in the beautiful Simpson Lake area on this great pack trip. The northern Wind River Range is fabulous country and the fly-fishing in the lakes is a treat. There will be the opportunity to fish the lake itself and other surrounding fisheries. The fishing is world renowned-fly-fishing or spin-casting. Brookies, Rainbows, Cutthroat Trout and Grayling all inhabit these healthy, pristine waters. We will take day rides or hikes to nearby lakes like Lost Lake, Sandra Lake, Pinto Lake and Rim Lake. The fishing will keep you busy and the scenery awestruck. Come enjoy these wonderful wild lands and water with us. Trip cost includes all meals, tent accommodations, riding, taxes and gratuities. Group bookings of three or more will receive $100 off per person. Photo by Steven Brutger
Valid From 07/08/2018 to 07/12/2018This is a special ladies trip into the beautiful Shoshone National Forest in Dubois Wyoming, staying at our comfortable base camp. We will gather as a small group to explore the serenity of the land, the quiet wisdom of horses, and daily movement and meditation practices tailored to create ease in body and mind. All levels of experience in yoga/meditation and horse riding are welcome. $1,700 per guest. All inclusive of meals, riding, yoga, tent accomodations, staff and taxes. Group bookings of three or more receive $100 off per guest. Photo by Meredith HardwickLadies trip only
- Hunting, fishing and pack trips in the Fitzpatrick Wilderness. Drop trips for climbers and backpackers into Gannett Peak.
- Hunting camp in Wind River Range. Fishing, drop pack trips.
- Dogsledding tours.
- Guided service includes wade and alpine fishing from a motor or drift boat. Fly fishing instruction for all levels of experience.
- Float or wade along the Big Horn, Snake and Wind River. Professional fly fishing guide service. Catch and release fishing.
- Half or full-day guided wade fishing trips in the Lander area. 3 & 5 day overnight pack trips available.
- Llama treks and hiking into the Wind River Range, Red Desert and Absaroka Range. Excellent fishing and spectacular scenery while a llama carries all your gear. Llama rentals.
- The only permitted base camp on the glacier trail located in the Fitzspatrick Wilderness. Weekly guided horsepacking trips July-Oct. This area is famous for Gannett Peak, the highest peak in Wyoming.
- Specializing in fly fishing trips. Horseback riding and ATV's can also be arranged.
- Licensed and insured Wyoming outfitting service offering experienced professional fishing and hunting guides, as well as certified mountain guides, for the back country traveler looking for sport or adventure. Drop trips. Rentals- horses, complete camps, wall tents, stoves, cooking gear.
- Guided fly fishing in the Wind River Range. Day trips or 3-10 day trips available. Golden Trout specialty.
- Day or overnight pack trips into the Absarokas and Wind River Mountains. Remote Golden Trout trips.
- Wind River Backcountry OutfittersHorsepacking into the Absaroka mountains, fishing and fall hunting. Drop trips. Day horseback rides.
- Whitewater rafting and guided fishing trips.
- Private and customizable instructional climbing courses at the base of the Wind River Range.Packages
Wind River Climbing GuidesmapValid From 04/01/2018 to 05/31/2018Elevate your adventure this Spring season by enjoying a guided day of rock climbing in Sinks Canyon. If the date of your trip falls anywhere between 4/1/18 – 5/31/18 you can receive 10% off the total cost by using promo code: SPRGCLYM18 at checkout. This offer is valid for all trips and courses. We provide all climbing equipment and professional certified instruction. Climbing trips are available to people of any experience level and ages five and up. Book now at https://booking.windriverclimbing.com/ Ages five and up. No minimum number of participants.
- Located at The Black Bear Inn. Guided morning half-day and full day wade trips, evening wade and a golden trout package. Daily afternoon free fly casting lessons (5pm).
- Fishing trips for anglers of all abilities with experienced guides. Walk and wade tours in the Wind River & North Fork rivers and below Boysen Reservoir.
- Cover the same ground as the pioneers in a wagon, on a horse, or both. Access to historical landmarks. Rent horses by the week for re-enactments, movies, outfitters, ranches, hunters, rodeos, etc.